This article is about the 2011 Disney Channel series.
Jessie is an American sitcomthat originally aired on Disney Channel from September 30, 2011 to October 16, 2015. The series was created and executive produced by Pamela Eells O'Connell and stars Debby Ryan as Jessie Prescott, a small town Texas girl who moves to New York City to try to become an actress, but instead she becomes a nanny to a high-profile couple's four children: Emma Ross (Peyton List), Luke Ross (Cameron Boyce), Ravi Ross (Karan Brar), and Zuri Ross (Skai Jackson).
Plot: The series follows Jessie Prescott (Debby Ryan), a young woman from a small town with big dreams who, rebelling against her strict father, decides to leave the military base in Texas where she grew up and moves to New York City. She accepts a job as a nanny and moves into a multimillion-dollar penthouse on the Upper West Side with the wealthy Ross family which includes jet-setting parents Morgan and Christina and their four rambunctious children: Emma Ross, Luke Ross, Ravi Ross, and Zuri Ross, along with the family pet, Mr. Kipling, a seven-foot Asian water monitor lizard, that was later revealed to be a female. With a whole new world of experiences open to her, Jessie embarks on new adventures in the big city as she grows to rely on the love and support of the children in her care. Assisting her are Bertram (Kevin Chamberlin), the family's lazy and sarcastic butler, and Tony (Chris Galya), the building's 20-year-old doorman.
Main Character Profiles:
- Jessie Prescott (Debby Ryan) is an idealistic and resourceful girl from the military base of Fort Hood, Texas. As a recent high school graduate rebelling against her strict father who wanted her to join the army, Jessie moved to New York City to realize her dreams of stardom, but due to an unexpected turn of events, ends up becoming a nanny to the four Ross children. Even though at times both Jessie and the Ross kids can annoy each other, they all deeply care for one another and Jessie is even shown to be sometimes overprotective. Later her last name is revealed to be Prescott. In the episode "Make New Friends, but Hide the Old", she reveals that she is an only child of her family. Jessie also has a complicated love life. Her boyfriend stories are frequently mentioned, and only in "The Rosses Get Real" are they called something other then boring and pathetic. Her mother has never been seen, but is mentioned in "G.I. Jessie".
- Emma Ross (Peyton List) is a diva, somewhat ditsy, cynical girl, eager to reorder the world to the way she sees it. Emma is the oldest child of the Ross family, and Morgan and Christina's only biological child. Emma spends most of her time with Zuri and doesn't appreciate her brother Luke. In the second season, she acts as Kitty Couture. She is into fashion and starts to get along with Luke more. She and Ravi also spend time together as brother and sister.
- Luke Ross (Cameron Boyce) is a laid back, flirty, crafty boy who was born in Detroit and has a passion for video games, break-dancing, and causing mischief around the penthouse while also being sarcastic at times. He considers himself a "ladies' man", having taken a liking to Jessie in particular. Luke even tried to date her in the first few episodes. Luke is the second oldest of the Ross children. In "The Kid Whisperer", his full name is revealed to be Lucas. He spends a lot of time with his brother, Ravi, and has a close bond with Bertram as well. In "Lizard Scales and Wrestling Tales", his middle name is revealed as Philbert, named after his grandpa.
- Ravi Ross (Karan Brar) is a gentle, intelligent and courteous boy, born and raised for ten and a half years in West Bengal, India, and the newest addition of the Ross family. He is imbued with the culture of his beloved homeland, but is thrilled with his new life in America. He is the third oldest of the Ross children and also the most intelligent. He spends most of his time with Luke, but appreciates his sisters all the same. He also spends time with his lizard Mr. Kipling—later revealed as Mrs. Kipling—which he brought from India.
- Zuri Ross (Skai Jackson) is a sassy, strong-willed, quick-witted and talkative girl who was brought to NYC from her birth country of Uganda. She is highly creative with a penchant for rainbows, unicorns, mermaids, and country music, and has many stuffed animals and imaginary friends. She is the youngest of the Ross children. She has close bonds with Jessie, Emma, and her imaginary friends. Zuri later lets go of all of her imaginary friends, hinting that she's becoming a mature adolescent.
- Bertram (Kevin Chamberlin) is the Ross family's eccentric butler. He is grouchy and often very lazy, though begrudgingly helps Jessie navigate her job as nanny to the four Ross children. In "The Kid Whisperer", his hoarding obsession is revealed. In "Tempest in a Teacup", it is revealed that Bertram is claustrophobic. He also has a passion for opera music and boy bands. Even though the Ross kids, as well as Jessie, get on his nerves sometimes, he deeply cares about them. In "One-Day Wonders", it is revealed that his last name is Winkle.
A list of all episodes (with summaries) is available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jessie_episodes Bibliography:
En.wikipedia.org. (2017). Jessie (TV series). [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_(TV_series) [Accessed 4 Apr. 2017].
All photo credits go to 'Laugh Productions'. I do not own any media displayed on this page.