|“||Okay, there's only one way to save this place. We need to make a new promotional video.||”|
The episode starts out with Gladys announcing that she has some shocking news through her megaphone. Zuri and Ravi, jokingly guesses that she got stood up on another date, which happens every weekend. Gladys then revealed that after this summer, the camp is shutting down permanently. Tiffany asks why the camp is closing and Gladys says its closing because there weren't enough applicants for next year. Two things happen at Camp Kikiwaka every summer. Someone gets food poisoning and Gladys says camp is going to close. This according to Lou, who tells the others not to worry when Gladys announces that this will be the last summer at camp.
While food poisoning is more or less a certainty, when Gladys shows off the camp’s new website it becomes painfully obvious why there haven’t been any registrations for the next summer. The new promo video for the site is one long 1980s cliche complete with phrases like “nuclear arms race,” “hacky sacking,” “totally tubular and “acid washing jeans.”
Emma, Xander and Lou decide the best way to update the video with something from “this century” is to host a web cast. But the web cast hits a snag when Gladys starts auctioning off items in the camp right in the middle of the web cast. Bickering between the Ross clan and company only make the web cast worse as people walk off with items Gladys has auctioned off. When Emma and Xander try to show off their tether ball skills, they have to use a brick instead of the tether ball Gladys sells for five dollars.
It turns out the best way to make the web cast a success was to not try because when Emma, Xander and Lou inadvertently film themselves making up and having a heart to heart about their friendship the web cast audience responds. Three-hundred camp registrations later, Camp Kikiwaka is saved.
The episode ends with an "updated" version of the 1980's video, with Gladys, Xander, Emma, Lou, Zuri and Tiffany dancing. Emma steps out, asking if Ravi is actually recording it, and he says no, as he is watching cat videos.
- Peyton List as Emma Ross
- Skai Jackson as Zuri Ross
- Karan Brar as Ravi Ross
- Miranda May as Lou
- Kevin G. Quinn as Xander
- Nina Lu as Tiffany
- We find out Lou feels like a third wheel.
- This episode is also referred to as, "Live at Camp Kikiwaka".
- There was a reference to Camp Rock 2.
- After hearing Zuri’s attempt at stand-up comedy, Tiffany calls her Lamy Schumer.
- Lou’s way of saying she is mad is to say she is “like a mule chewing on bumble bees.”
- When Gladys agrees to redo the camp promotional video, the only change is that she is joined by the campers, who are dressed in 1980s workout clothes. When asked how it’s an update, Gladys says they are going to be doing The Running Man instead of the Moonwalk. The Moonwalk was popularized by Michael Jackson in 1983, the Running Man by his sister Janet Jackson in 1986.
The image gallery for Live From Camp Kikiwaka may be viewed here.
The transcript for Live From Camp Kikiwaka may be viewed here.
- July 3, 2016 (Hungary)
- July 24, 2016 (Israel)
- September 18, 2016 (Latin America, Brazil)
The video gallery for Live From Camp Kikiwaka may be viewed here.